About Child Abuse
Child Abuse – It Doesn't Have to Happen
It is highly likely that you know a child who has been or is being abused:
• Experts estimate that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before their 18th birthdays. This means that in any classroom or neighborhood full of children, there are children who are silently bearing the burden of sexual abuse.
• 1 in 5 children are sexually solicited while on the Internet.
• Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
• The median age for reported sexual abuse is 9 years old.
• Approximately 20% of the victims of sexual abuse are under age 8.
• Most child victims never report their abuse.
• Sexually abused children who keep it a secret, or who tell and are not believed, are at a greater risk than the general population for psychological, emotional, social, and physical problems, often lasting into adulthood.
• 30-40% of children are abused by family members.
• As many as 60% are abused by people the family trusts – abusers frequently try to form a trusting relationship with parents.
• People who abuse children look and act just like everyone else. In fact, they often go out of their way to appear trustworthy to gain access to children.
BREAK THE CYCLE OF SILENCE –
For more information call CARE House at 248.332.7173.