Child Abuse – It Doesn't Have to Happen.
BREAK THE CYCLE OF SILENCE.
Let the healing and the prevention begin today.
Sexual abuse is more prevalent than most realize.
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be abused before they reach the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults occur to children ages 17 and under.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.
The overwhelming majority of abused children know their abuser.
- Another 50% are abused by someone outside of the family whom they know and trust.
- Approximately 40% are abused by older or larger children whom they know.
Sexual abuse can occur at all ages, probably younger than you think.
- The median age for reported abuse is 9 years old.
- More than 20% of children are sexually abused before the age of 8.
Most abused children don't tell even when asked.
- Evidence that a child has been sexually abused is not always obvious, and many children do not report that they have been abused.
- Over 30% of victims never disclose the experience to ANYONE.
Health Problems Resulting from Sexual Abuse.
- Consequences of child sexual abuse begin affecting children and families immediately.
- Sexually abused children who keep it a secret or who "tell" and are not believed are at greater risk than the general population for psychological, emotional, social, and physical problems.
- Victims of child sexual abuse report more substance abuse problems. 70-80% of sexual abuse survivors report excessive drug and alcohol use.
Statistics courtesy of the Michigan Chapter of the
National Children’s Alliance and Darkness to Light.